As I was trying to find a topic for today’s blog post, I turned on one of the many Spotify playlists that I use on the regular when I’m feeling unoriginal or uninspired. I hadn’t the slightest idea of what I should write. Being perfectly vulnerable here, there is a dread that creators always have sitting in the bottom of their stomachs.
“What if I’m not enough?”
“What if this never works?”
“I feel called to this, but what if I heard wrong? What if I run out of inspiration?”
“A lot of people have written/created something like this. What if mine never stands out? Will all of this work even pay off?”
Worse yet, this one will surface:
“How in the world am I going to even begin to work on this project?”
But what if there was a way to take a step toward defeating these doubts, especially the last one?
I’m sure you have heard it many times before, but I’m here to restate it.
Playlists are a writer/creator’s best friend.
(that and chocolate… and coffee…)
I can never stress it enough. Playlists, my friend, are the key to everything.
You know that really annoying thing where you’re trying to listen to music but you can’t find what you are looking for and nothing is making you feel good by listening to it? Just musical restlessness? This could be something that is a problem that only I have, but I seriously doubt it. *
Remember that inspiration problem? The thing where nothing seems to fit your style? Or that the thing you have created isn’t meeting your criteria? Or even just the uncomfortable feeling of feeling like you can’t create anything? Your mind is blank, but you want to fill it; you just can’t for some reason.
These problems are easily remedied.
*jazz hands* playlists, y’all.
So, I now present to you my list of the top five playlists I recommend having as a creator!
*Note: musical restlessness is a problem for me, but I’ve also found that often when I feel this way, I have filled up my sensory tank. When I notice this, I need to unplug and sit in silence for a while. Make sure to listen to the signs your body is subtly giving you. An unhappy brain is the opposite of what you want for creativity to abound. 🙂
- INSPIRATIONAL PLAYLIST – This is the playlist that you listen to when your brain feels like it will never come up with anything original again. That is not true, but right now it may feel a little helpless. To help it get back on track, I would compose this playlist of the songs that make you feel your creative juices start to work. For me, these are songs that remind me that I love writing, even if it is hard, and that there is a great payoff in the end. Below is my playlist 😀
- ANGST PLAYLIST – This is the playlist you listen to when you are writing/creating a sad scene or something that evokes emotion. This playlist should make it easier to get into the mindset of the situation. Below is my angst playlist. (cries) If I’m not describing this feeling well, Urban Dictionary describes “angst” in a way I really like:
Angst, often confused with anxiety, is a transcendent emotion in that it combines the unbearable anguish of life with the hopes of overcoming this seemingly impossible situation. Without the important element of hope, the emotion is anxiety, not angst.– Urban Dictionary
- CURRENT WIP PLAYLIST – These are songs that you listen to while working on your current project. These should be songs that capture the theme of your project as well as character personalities. You can also include songs that are loosely based on scenes you have. I have the most fun with these. Below is my playlist for Mirage of Shards and Capax Infiniti.
- RESTOCK PLAYLIST – I like to call this one the “brain food” playlist. These are the songs that are peaceful to your mind. As important as it is to keep up the creative speed, it is equally important to let your mind rest for a while. Below are the songs that my brain likes to soak in. 🙂 (personal favorite: Paperman. It’s pretty much my favorite thing ever. The Disney short is the best and the soundtrack for it is the bestest. XD)
- VISION PLAYLIST – Finally, the vision playlist. My best friend made me this one and I absolutely love it. “Power to the Local Dreamer” is one of our favorite mottos and this playlist kinda has a storyline. It’s about dreaming and working hard to get something and then the WONDERFUL payoff when it comes. It’s about seeing what you want to achieve and then reaching it eventually down the road. Below is the beautiful playlist! ❤
So those are my TOP 5 playlist that I think that every creator should make!! I hope you had fun reading this, but I especially hope you have fun creating your own playlists if you so choose!
Now go forth, mis amigos and amigas, and smile. Your day is just beginning. Make the best of it. Don’t procrastinate. Work hard. Make me proud. 🙂
Love you all,
6 thoughts on “5 playlists for the creator // a few collections I find helpful”
(that and chocolate… and coffee…) AMEN
I love Paperman as well 😃
I love to listen to music as well. I am sorting out my entire music library… super slow going 😂 I don’t like to have words playing when I’m writing, so all of them are just instruments, maybe with vocals. I do know some writers who can’t write without music that has words, and others who can’t write with ANYTHING, so to each his own, I guess. 😜
Paperman is so great.
Oh totally. It just depends on the Brain mood of that particular time😂
LikeLiked by 1 person
oH okay ‘scuse me while I just AWWWWWWWWWW
OHHHHH I LOVE THIS!!!! These playlists are so awesome!!! And the idea to have these different playlists is perfect! I really need to make these too!!!
Also, I tagged you for the Star Wars Character Tag on my blog:
Awww thank you!!!!! As many of my friends will tell you, I have playlists for every situation😂
*gaaaaaaasp* A STAR WARS TAG???! oh my word Penny, you are the bestest!! ❤️ I shall do it asap!!